Monday, March 05, 2007

A constant state of recovery

In some ways, that's how my life has felt. As if I'm third world and recovering from cascading family issues, personal failings and falls. Maybe that's a way that everyone feels.

Becky and I have made what I believe to be great strides towards moving beyond this level two mode. We're trying to do more than tread water.

For instance, our basement, a project we have collaborated with Mary Ellen and her boyfriend Ben on completing, is nearly finished. I'll have an actual office and will return from Macintosh exile soon. (one reason my posts have been so spartan is that I've been working - doing all my work on a laptop that is practically an antique - ten years old now, I think!)

Every day we are completing more of our planned, regular chores and yesterday we even took some time to ourselves.

As you may have heard, my mom has cancer. We don't know a lot about it right now - she's undergoing a lot of tests. She is doing as well as she can with it now and is back at home after two weeks in the hospital. I'll update more when I know more.

Anyway, her illness has been, among other things, a gentle nudge to me to recall that we're not here forever. In that spirit, Becky and I had a family day on Sunday. We went to Price Hill Chili for breakfast (very midwestern/west side/insular in character, but good food) and then to Krohn Conservatory to enjoy a steamy walk among the flowers. Finally, we visited mom and pitched some junk for her.

A little at a time and we'll move it along.

A small aside - Vader is Dutch for father - which, I'm sure, is why Darth had this as a surname or nickname or suffix. Whatever that was.

Steve

3 comments:

Helen Burton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I know that your mother did not want her predicament public knowledge to garner either sympathy for her or you. That is the last thing she would want. I would suggest that you premove previous comments to that effect immediately.

beckyandsteve said...

Well, that's not what I'm doing - attempting to garner anything.

I think you're reading what you'd like to see in this. So, I feel fine about what I wrote. Thanks.

Steve