Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spanking? Yes or no?

I hate the whole idea of corporal punishment, but that's exactly the low-foreheaded/cro-mag/19th century child discipline technique that I've employed.

Uly is a very strong willed child. I like that about him ... as long as it doesn't include hitting his infant sister, slapping his mom and other anti-social behavior. The problem is, these things happen a lot.

Anyway, I've found myself spanking him to try and get past these issues. The results are dubious. After I give him a warning he still goes ahead with the problem behavior. After that, I issue a time out. After the time out he acts up again and I spank. He finally relents, apologizes and stops, but the problem behavior is repeated later. Other methods do less.

Ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered subjecting him to Blue Oyster Cult. I know, I know, this is America and "we don't torture" and all but you know the old saying... "spare the rod and spoil the child".

Anonymous said...

Becky from Cincinnati? I was your roommate when I went to UC. It's Stephanie Gau if you remember. Anyway, if you get this, email me at steph.gau@hotmail.com