Sunday, March 12, 2006

Child Rearing and Chad's Funeral

That's where my mind has been for the past 24 hours.

We visited Molly yesterday at the Kenton County Detention Center, a real jewel of the American justice system, I hear - not.

She was in good spirits and we got a long visit with her yesterday. Beck and I have confidence that she'll make it and stay sober this time.

After visiting Molly we bought something like six pounds of spinich for $2 from Findlay Market. I highly recommend you check out this urban farmers market. The prices are so low I think we could buy product and resell it here in Norwood at profit and still undercut the grocery significantly.

After that we had so much spinich, we needed to give some away and we went to the red building and gave some to, among others, Krystal Dawson. Brandon is away working with Over the Rhine in New Zealand and she's been alone with Avian. Anyway, she asked us to dinner.

At dinner we spoke with Krystal about their parenting method, which we didn't know much about before last night. It turns out they are focusing their parenting on trying to raise avian to respect authority that acts out of love, not out of fear. (these are my words, not theirs, and my very limited understanding of this method, called Adlerian Psychology or the Positive Parenting menthod) This is a method to create a child that is neurosis free, and has only egalitarian relationships. I'll blog on this more later...

So anyway, we had a lovely evening with Krystal and Avian and had a really neat conversation about this stuff. Beck and I talked a lot about how we might raise our midget.

Today - this morning - was Chad's funeral. It was a beautiful service and a lot of folks stood up to talk about his life. I particularly liked Chad's dad's story of how, when Chad was a kid, he got stuck with the dog in an icy garage and scrawled "help" on the garage door window.

We're at the Brown House now, hanging with Tracey, Jeremy, Sandy Brock and a few other folks.

I'm still working on the Best of Cincinnati text.

More later...

No comments: