Monday, January 28, 2008

Floor Sanding, Home Stretch On Remodel




Attached to this post are a few pictures, before and in-process of the work I've been doing on the floors at Mom's house. The wood floor - Maple I think - was pretty beat up. After working with Jim to fill in all the cracks in the walls and ceiling, repaint the ceilings, walls and trim, I'm now working on the floors.

Getting this floor refinishing job professionally done would have been more than $2500, My cost is around $500 in materials and about 40 hours labor. Not bad!

I rented a drum type floor sander from Schulhoff tool rental in Walnut Hills ($30) and bought sandpaper - 36 and 80 grit, 20 sheets each ($50). The sander is like a lawn mower with a cord that you pull backwards. It's very heavy and it is physically taxing work, but not at all hard to get the hang of. As a novice, I learned how to handle the machine in just half an hour, without doing any damage of note to the floors. You can gouge it if it stays in one place too long. The keys are 1)keep moving 2)work with the grain and 3) Change your paper often. I did two rough sands and one fine sand and it looks great. Photos of that later this week. There are lots of guides online. This would make someone a terrific side business. Wear a respirator, spend a few thousand on the tools and you could make cash hand over fist, I think.

I'm working with my friend Dan tomorrow morning to do the edging.

- Steve

1 comment:

Floors Sanding said...

Hello,
This is the nice post and this post is really appreciable. If you are looking for flooring sanding and sanding a floor you can find more information from here.