Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I am legend and how to pirate a movie, overcoming security detail

Not me - Will Smith is, or at least that's the title of his new movie.

I saw it tonight and the line stretched on for quite a ways. I was surprised that so many were trying to get into the sneak preview. If we hadn't come so early, we (Jimmy, the father in law, Bill Williams and Thurman) may not have gotten a seat. At least not a good one. Bill likes down in front and that's always (really) fine by me.

There was security using metal detector wands and bag searches for cameras to prevent piracy. It occurred to me that there was an easy way around this. They don't search popcorn. Go to a movie at the target theatre, get a bag of popcorn and take the bag home. Put your video cam rig in the bag with the lcd screen pointed up. Make a false bottom above the cam and put a plexi window in it. Take this in a bag (like a purse or something fabric) to the theatre on the night of your target film's preview and buy another bag of popcorn. Go to the john, into a stall and close the door. Pour the new bag into the old bag and throw out the overage popcorn. Fold up the new bag for use next time. (Don't waste. Recycle! Reuse!) Toss the throwaway cloth bag or fold it up (better). Get in line and they'll look you over but not your grub. Go in and tear open a window for the lens to see and point it at the screen. Eat away the popcorn on top so you can see the viewfinder. Film the movie onto your dv cam and then stow the rig in the fabric bag and leave. Anyway, if I cared to make a living this way, it should work. How much money can you make at this anyway?

The film was jarring. Lots of good scares and shocks. I was glad to see downbeats in the resolution and in the core of the flick and Smith was good, but the film suffers from poor cg animation. Better that the monsters were unseen as to be seen in such a state. Good solo acting by Smith, but mediocre ensemble play. C+.

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Am Legend was a great movie IMO. Anyway, I'm really only contacting you for one reason so I'll get to it. I saw your post from over a year ago about riding the Lilly Chapel bike trail. I tried with a map to figure out howto get on this trail by your instructions but couldn't quite get it right.

I had never heard of this Cinci-Erie trail and am just looking for a way to get on it to start. Any suggestions?

I just realized I can't remember my BlogSpot username for some reason and am going to have to create a new one. Regardless, I can still see the comments for it, so please leave your response at http://theguardiandog.blogspot.com Thanks, -TMC.